Monday 27 October 2014

Pressure took over after dark

I spent my time on things that were completely unnecessary and devilishly simple,
till I began to puzzle over my problem set at midnight, as the deadline day began.

My eyes rolled once or twice while scanning a page of tabulated values, retreating as if I was about to lie down and sleep. And yes, I was about to, till the question at hand dropped, and I stiffened, straining my eyes open. The work progressed at an iterative crawl. I turned my head upside down and shook, till the jammed information dispenser in my cortex spat out the right puzzle piece. And then, inch-high, giggling imps began emerging on my desk. Their retort to my overdrawn frown was a cacophony of shrieks. They slumped on my paper and sprawled out, breathless from their spasmodic laughter. My eyes flickered, and I began gawking at their neon robes. That one was azure, the other gold and pink. My eyelids slid over my view, and I rocked forward, and slumped on the desk.

No comments: